Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fancy Foodage

This past weekend, sweet hubs and I took a road trip down to Atlanta to see two of our friends get married (congrats, to the new Mr. and Mrs. Glisson!). While we were down there, we managed to eat at an amazing restaurant called the Woodfire Grill. Maybe you've heard of it? It was recently brought to semi-celebrity-chef-restaurant status since the chef, Kevin Gillespie, was featured on Top Chef. But I digress - those of you who know me in person are well aware of the fact that I am a picky eater. I eat some veggies, pretty much only chicken where protein is concerned and the occasional ground beef dish. Not adventurous AT ALL.  Well, I decided to break out from my normal, boring choices since we were about to venture into the world of culinary royalty (in my mind at least).

Kevin Gillespie
I ate things I'd never considered - there was a little spoonful of beets and some other delectable vegetables - I gulped that down. Next came an amazing salad along with several super delicious appetizers, which included things such as mushroom risotto (I don't do mushrooms), fried pork trotters (pig feet?! ME?!), pan roasted diver scallop and pan seared sonoma artisan foie gras (I passed on the last two). Then came the entrees, which again, were absolutely divine. We were given pan roasted washington state halibut (so fresh!!), wood grilled local bobwhite quail (amazing!), wood grilled berkshire pork loin (such a wonderful taste!), and wood grilled sonoma artisan duck breast (from the same duck as the foie gras). Everyone was salivating the moment the plates came out. We also enjoyed roasted local sunchokes and smokey greens. Yowza!

Now, if that wasn't enough, they had some amazing cocktails - my favorite was the blackberry cocktail... unfortunately, I can't remember the exact name, but I thoroughly enjoyed the two (or three?) that came my way.

After dinner, it wasn't quite over - it was dessert time. Again, no complaints here. I must admit, these were some of the best desserts I'd ever had - and I am a sugar addict. We shared the lemon meringue tart, the ice cream sandwiches (the cookie portion being merangue cookies!) and some deliciously amazing caramel/banana/cake concoction. Wow. That was some amazing meal.

I have to thank my dear friends for exposing sweet hubs and I to this. I am in love. Between the AMAZING food, the wonderful conversation (we were lucky enough to be joined by one of the owners of the restaurant and the sous-chef, who prepared our meal that evening (Kevin wasn't in), it was an unforgettable evening.

Enjoy some eye candy, courtesy of The Woodfire Grill.

 

0 comments: