Thursday, December 2, 2010

Where Were You Five Years Ago?

My Omaha, Nebraska gal pal, Wendy Townley, recently wrote a short essay about where she was five years ago.  I started thinking about where I was five years ago as well, so here's my own recount of where and who I was.

Job Wise: In December of 2005 I was working in my first real full-time job in television at a post-production house as a motion graphics design assistant.  Over the summer I had moved to NYC and started at another post house, but the facility shut down three months after I started (bummer!).  I was working a lot of long hours, but loving my job.

A Few Memorable Moments: Sweet hubs and I were stoked to see our first snowfall living in NYC.  That was a great day.  I took my first trip to Philly with some girlfriends, which was a blast.  The MTA strike happened shortly before Christmas that year, which is something I'll always remember - it was totally weird.  There's no other way to describe that - talk about the worst commute to work ever.

Looking back at my life in 2005, I had to go back and read in my journal.  I used to write so much more than I do now!  That is one thing I regret that I've stopped doing so often.  It's nice to look back and see how I was feeling, what I was thinking and how I viewed my daily life.  My mind was a lot less cynical and a lot more open and gentle.  I was just finally adjusting to being a REAL adult in the sense of moving from being a student to doing my first REALLY big move and getting my first real career-worthy job.  I was still learning so much and still so eager to find the next intellectually stimulating experience.  Don't get me wrong, I haven't necessarily lost all of those qualities, they're just a little less... vibrant than they used to be.  I think that just comes with growing up - the sparkle gets a little dull.

So maybe after seeing the difference between 25 and 30, I need to find a way to put the sparkle back into my outlook on life.  Maybe that's my New Year's resolution for 2010 to 2011.

Where has my sparkle gone?  I think I have a little exploring to do.

Sweet hubs and I in 2005.

Sweet hubs and I in 2010.


0 comments: