Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A New Apartment Calls for an Inspiration Board! (Part 2: Bedroom Design)

Well folks, our move is complete.

Last weekend was spent with my parents, since they so kindly offered drive up from Virginia and let us use their muscles to help us move and paint the new apartment. I am so thankful - if they hadn't, sweet hubs and I would be painting for the next month and I'd be one tired and cranky lady.

My step-dad and sweet hubs spent their days moving things, running to Lowe's and Home Depot as well as various other stores while my mom and I hunkered down at the new place and painted. And painted. And then painted some more.

The end result is GORGEOUS. I'm so proud. We scrubbed and polished the floors, painted all the walls, trim, radiators and cabinetry. It was so worth the time and effort. And let me just mention that I adore Behr paint. We didn't need a second coat on anything. Amazing stuff.

I was pleasantly surprised that we even managed to fit in going to a fancy dinner at The Good Fork in our old neighborhood as a well deserved treat on Saturday evening. It was a great and productive weekend, to say the least.

Now that my parents have gone back home, sweet hubs and I have the tasks of unpacking, organizing and decorating. We've done quite well so far. We managed to luck out on quite a few deals on things we needed to buy or to replace and only have a few more big purchases to make.

Obviously its not quite time for us to do a big reveal of the final product, so instead, I'll share my inspiration boards for decor which includes the furniture and accessories we currently own, what we've purchased so far and what we intend to purchase, just to see how things will work together.

Here's the first edition, our bedroom.

The bedroom is quite large (12ft x 16ft), at least compared to our previous bedroom, which was approximately 8ft x 9ft.

Here are the photos from when we viewed the apartment. Apologies on their grainy quality, but you can at least get an idea of what we're working with. We've got a HUGE closet and two really nice sized windows.



This is what we've decided to do, decor and color wise, with the bedroom. I'm not an overly girly girl, and my style is more clean lined and mid-century modern inspired, which works well since I can't picture sweet hubs being a happy man living in a frilly apartment. That being said, we decided to paint the bedroom Behr's "Bon Voyage", which is a beautiful, rich and deep blue with a little bit of a muted grey tone to it. We painted the trim and doors bright white which really makes the wall color and the beautiful hardwoods pop.

We found that one thing that seemed as though it was going to break the bank was buying rugs. As most of you know, once you go above a 5ft x 7ft rug, the price usually doubles or triples. Yikes. Well we did a lot of researching and managed to score some great deals. For this room, we found a pretty awesome, and really quite soft diamond textured 8ft x 10ft brown rug ($70!!), which nicely compliments our brown throw pillows.

For our bedding, we went with a simple textured charcoal gray quilt with square european pillows. We didn't want to get too crazy, so we kept our bedskirt and curtains white.

(Clockwise) Behr Ultra Premium Satin Paint, Ikea "Hemnes" 8-Drawer Dresser, Cream Colored Barrel Lamp ShadePortfolio Rustana/Satin Nickel Table Lamp BaseCasual Home Grommet Top Window Collection, Brown Diamond 8' x 10' Rug, Brown Felicia Cushion Cover, Charcoal Alina Bedspread and 2 cushion covers)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you've even changed your blog colours to match your new decor! I can't wait to see it finished!

Unknown said...

What's funny about that was that I actually changed the blog colors two months ago to match my website redesign (which is still not finished)...

So I guess my apartment colors match my blog. Man I'm a weirdo. Haha.

Completely unintentional!!!

Juliette Samuel said...

Sounds like a great find on the rug for that price. Your place reminds me of an apartment I had in White Plains, NY. I'm looking forward to see the results.

Juliette Samuel

rachel said...

congrats on completing your move! looking forward to seeing how your new apartment comes together :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Juliette - it absolutely was! I was kind of shocked, to be honest. Also, the quality isn't bad either.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rachel!! I'll be revealing another inspiration board in the next few days. (I'm buying myself time to finish everything before shooting and posting the real photos!)