Friday, October 21, 2011

Digital Life of an Avid Reader

I've always been an avid reader - I love to absorb information. It took me a while to migrate from books to an e-reader - my parents generously gave me a Nook for Christmas last year and I haven't looked back since. I love the feel of books and magazines as well as the smell of printed paper, but the Nook converted me with its ease of use and portability. There is still something romantic and intoxicating to me about books and magazines in hand, though.

That being said, since it took me so long to adopt the technology of an e-reader, owning an iPad had never been anything I was really interested in. Yes, they're neat, but I didn't really want more technology in my life, until recently that is.

I've now come to the conclusion that I really DO want an iPad, sheerly for my magazine addiction. So many of my favorite magazines have gone defunct (I'm looking at you, Domino) or have just moved platforms from traditional print magazines, to digital only (Paste, that's you!). Also in the past year and a half, there have been several new magazines that have come into publication that are only available digitally and it gets cumbersome to read on the computer... maybe that's the first sign that I'm getting old - not wanting to read on the computer. Who knows. Plus, the technology of Issuu is pretty rad - it's just a nice easy reading experience.

Either way, I really want an iPad now. Time to start saving.

What are your favorite digital magazines?

Here are mine:

Lonny Magazine

Leaf (which just made its debut a few days ago)

Matchbook

Rue










Est

High Gloss

0 comments: