Friday, October 22, 2010

And Now for Something New

It's been a crazy week. Some personal events have occurred which are not so pleasant, but are being taken care of. One of those personal events is that I've decided its time to do something for myself. On Tuesday night, I joined Weight Watchers. It's been something I've been thinking about for quite some time, but now the time is right.

Anyhow, that being said, this will not be turning into a weight loss blog. I will be posting recipes as I do occasionally to keep track of them, but aside from that, there won't be daily posts about food / weight / etc. since that isn't something I'd like to really share with the interwebs. I guess I just wanted to bring that to my readers' attention so that you aren't wondering why I've randomly started posting weight watchers recipes. ;)

Another reason for mentioning it, is that I enjoy food. A lot. And I enjoy food that tastes good. And if I find a recipe that is WW friendly as well as tasty, I figure, why not share it with everyone else so you can enjoy it if you're looking for something healthy.

So without further adieu, here's the first recipe that sweet hubs and I tried last night. It was really tasty! I absolutely recommend it.

Turkey Sloppy Joes
(Recipe courtesy of www.weightwatchers.com)
Serves 4
POINTS® Value: 8

Preparation Time: 8 min
Cooking Time: 11 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
1 medium green pepper(s), finely chopped
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast
1 cup(s) barbecue sauce
4 item(s) mixed-grain hamburger roll(s)

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, and mustard; let cool 1 minute.

Add the turkey and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until no longer pink, 3–4 minutes. Stir in the barbecue sauce and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve on the hamburger rolls. Yields 1 roll with 3⁄4 cup meat.

0 comments: