Friday, March 12, 2010

The Trials and Tribulations of Flowers

"Love of My Life"
Photo courtesy of Sarah Ryhanen on Flickr.



















I have a wide variety of interests. Most people do, especially those who are "creatives". I must say, mine run the gamut of things that intellectually stimulate me.

One thing I really like are flowers. Not only like, but I LOVE flowers. I have come to realize this more and more as I've gotten older. I always have liked them - I have fond memories of the flowering lilac and forsythia bushes outside of my grandmothers house, which come rushing back to me every time I see those same flowers in bloom each spring and summer.

I went through a phase in high school where I didn't care for flowers at all. I chalk it up to teenage angst.

As I became a young woman in my early 20's, I told my boyfriends that I didn't care if I received flowers or not... which was not the truth. The reason behind this was simply that I always had more male than female friends and would hear them complaining about their "demanding" girlfriends who always wanted flowers and sweet sentiments and I never wanted to be viewed in that way. I didn't want the words "high maintenance" or "demanding" to be applied to me. I did always secretly wish that whomever I was dating at the time would disregard my casually mentioned statement and still bring me flowers. Alas, they never did.

Now, I freely admit my love for flowers. I don't require them, but my sweet, handsome husband does enrich my life with them. They make me happy. There's something about a vase of fresh flowers that brightens up even the most mundane day for me.

I wish I'd admitted I loved flowers earlier in my life.

There is an adorably wonderful little shop tucked away on a charming cobblestone street in my neighborhood called Saipua. I am a faithful reader of their blog - their floral arrangements have always awed me - and love looking at their newest creations. I recently noticed that they're offering classes, which they refer to as "Little Flower School". If only I had the extra cash, I'd sign up in a hot minute. It's time for me to save my pennies so I, too, can create gorgeous arrangements.



0 comments: