Sunday, January 10, 2010

Some of My Personal Passions

I have a strong passion for good design. I believe that good design can be applied in any product or situation. Some of my favorite types of design:

  • Typography. I love fonts. It's actually a little ridiculous just how much I love a good font suite. A good typographic design can be a complete design in itself, as opposed to enhancing a graphical design. I think my favorite fonts are a tie between Helvetica (an obvious and standard, yet classic choice), Arno, and Mrs. Eaves (both of which are elegant serif typefaces).









  • Interior Design, Furniture Design and Architecture. There are so many amazing interior design styles! Classic Parisian, Arts and Crafts (Craftsman), and Mid-Century Modern are probably my top three favorites.



  • Literary Covers. I completely and totally judge books by their cover unless I've had a personal recommendation, and honestly, I have yet to be let down by this. If I find the cover of a book to be visually interesting, 99% of the time, the story inside is equally so.




  • Product Design. Oh how I love a good package. I'm a sucker for it.



  • Band Posters and Vintage Travel Posters. There is definitely an amazing array of illustrators that focus on designing band/gig posters and vintage airline/travel posters were always just so thoughtfully designed, especially since travel used to be so elegant and such a classy experience.



  • Film Titling and Visual Effects. If you don't already, you should pay attention to the graphics and visual effects (specifically title sequences) of films. Since this is specifically the field of work I'm in (Motion Graphics + Post-Production), I always pay pretty close attention, so I understand if you haven't ever really given this a second thought. Trust me though, you can witness some pretty wonderful and creative design work here. Some of my favorites that I've seen recently (in no particular order): Zombieland (2009), Sherlock Holmes (2009), Watchmen (2008), Catch Me If You Can (2002), and Stranger Than Fiction (2006).



Well those are some of my favorites. What are yours?

0 comments: