Thursday, September 8, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Recap


What did you, my dear readers, do this past weekend?

Saturday morning, sweet hubs and I set out to spend the Labor Day weekend in Turtletown, Tennessee. I'm sure most of you have never heard of it - I hadn't till I met Jesse. It's a small town outside of Murphy, North Carolina. Turtletown happens to be where all of Jesse's family is from. In fact, not only was his great grandfather the local doctor, which was a very important role among small towns in that time, but his family has been there for generations upon generations.

Our purpose for heading up there this weekend was for a memorial service. Sweet hubs' great uncle had passed away early this summer and this past weekend would have been his 100th birthday, so it was only appropriate to say goodbye to him on the family homestead on the land that he loved, as well as celebrate what would have been a very important landmark birthday.

It was a very relaxing and sentimental weekend and I was thrilled to get the chance to meet a lot of the family I had not had the opportunity to meet before. The weekend was filled with music, laughter, some tears, lots of amazing food and dancing. We visited both of the family homes that his grandmother and grandfather grew up in - talk about postcard beautiful. Jesse and I also spent an extra day exploring the area since we intend to spend a lot of time up there now that we are in close driving distance.

I snapped a few photos, most of them are of his grandfather's property, since the weather was pretty awful, but I hope to take some good ones once we make a trip up there when the leaves start turning.

I love that I am now part of a large family - something I really never have experienced because my family is so small and spread out. I can't express the joy I have that I was able to meet so many cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. I think that my husband may have the sweetest family I've ever had the chance to meet. They're so filled with love, laughter and warmth. The only way to describe it is beautiful. I know, I know, look at me getting all sentimental and emotional - it really was amazing though.

Here are some photos. They don't do the places justice, but figured I'd share them anyhow.

Cherokee Lake

Jesse's grandfather's family property.

Jesse's grandfather's family property.

The view from Jesse's grandfather's family property.

Jesse's grandfather's family property.

Jesse's grandfather's family property.

Jesse's grandmother's family property.

Jesse's grandmother's family property - "In Memory of Dr. G.M. Young" (Jesse's great grandfather).

I got a John Deere tractor chocolate lollipop!

We also visited "Fields of the Woods", also known as the world's largest 10 commandments.
(We're trying to see as many sights from Roadside America as possible and this one
is about 10 minutes from Jesse's family property.)

Sweet hubs relaxing at the Nifty 50's Cafe in McCaysville, GA.

Unknown to us, we drove home through a tornado.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the giant 10 commandments. How ridiculous!

Unknown said...

Haha it totally is. Very similar to the Roadside America attraction near my parents house called "Natural Bridge".